Dr Yanfei Li is an Associate Professor with Hunan University of Technology and Business. He is also currently a Research Fellow with the Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA), an international economic policy think tank. He specializes in energy markets, energy policy, and economics of technological change, serving the interests of both academic and public sectors. Dr Li’s current research covers regional natural gas trade and market integration, regional power infrastructure planning and electricity trade, economic and environmental assessment of energy technologies, hydrogen economy, and energy-economy-environment modelling. His academic research appears on top energy and economics journals such as Energy Economics, Energy Policy, Renewable Energy, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, and Technological Forecasting and Social Changes. He also contributes opinion articles to public media such as South China Morning Post, the Diplomat, China Daily, the Nikkei Asian Review, and the ASEAN Post. He acquired PhD in Economics from Nanyang Technological University in Singapore and Bachelor’s degree in Economics from Peking University in Beijing.
- Energy and Environmental Economics
- Energy Markets, Energy Policy, and Economics of Technological Change
- Serving both Academic and Consulting Constituents
BSc in Economics,
PhD in Economics,
|2019 - Present|
Associate Professor, Hunan University of Technology and Business
|2019 - Present|
Research Fellow, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA)
|2013 - 2019|
Energy Economist, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA)
|2015 - 2018|
Adjunct Senior Scientist, Energy Research Institute @NTU, Singapore
|2010 - 2013|
Research Fellow, Energy Research Institute @NTU ([email protected]),
|2012 - 2013|
Part-time Lecturer, Graduate course on Quantitative Methods,
|2011 - 2012|
Part-time Lecturer, Undergraduate course on International Economics,
|2009 - 2011|
Part-time Teaching Assistant, Graduate course on Macroeconomics,
|2007 - 2010|
Part-time Teaching Assistant, Undergraduate course on Principle of Economics,
- ASEAN Centre for Energy, Hydrogen in ASEAN: Economic Prospects, Development, and Applications, edited by B. Suryadi, A. G. Bhaskoro, Suwanto, and Li, Jakarta, Aug 2021.
- Li, J. Tan, Strategic Cooperation among China, Mongolia, Japan and South Korea in Developing Green Hydrogen, Sino-Global Energy, 2021, 26(8): 1-10.
- è°å»ºç”Ÿï¼ŒæŽè°šæ–ï¼Œç¢³ä¸å’ŒèƒŒæ™¯ä¸‹ä¸è’™æ—¥éŸ©ç»¿æ°¢æˆ˜ç•¥åˆä½œæž„æƒ³[J], ç”µåŠ›å†³ç–ä¸Žèˆ†æƒ…å‚è€ƒï¼Œ2021, 21, 14-24.
- è°å»ºç”Ÿï¼ŒæŽè°šæ–ï¼Œç¢³ä¸å’ŒåŠå†…è’™æ²»æ²™èƒŒæ™¯ä¸‹ä¸è’™æ—¥éŸ©ç»¿æ°¢æˆ˜ç•¥åˆä½œæž„æƒ³[J], ç»¼ç ”å¿«å‚ï¼Œ2021, 321(4), 1-16.
- Li, H. Jiang, F. Taghizadeh-Hesary, and W. Wu, Review on the Economics of Hydrogen Production Technology from Renewable Energy and Its Application Evaluation in ASEAN (in Chinese), Journal of Global Energy Interconnection, 2021, 4(3): 292-300.
- Li and S. Kimura, Economic Competitiveness and Environmental Implications of Hydrogen Energy and Fuel Cell Electric Vehicles in ASEAN Countries: The Current and Future Scenarios, Energy Policy, Volume 148, Part B, January 2021, 111980.
- Li and F. Taghizadeh-Hesary, Energy Prices and the Economic Feasibility of Using Hydrogen Energy for Road Transport in the People’s Republic of China, ADBI Working Paper, September 2020.
- Li and F. Taghizadeh-Hesary, Energy Storage for Renewable Energy Integration in ASEAN and East Asian Countries: Prospects of Hydrogen as an Energy Carrier vs. Other Alternatives, ERIA Research Project Report 2020 No.9, September 2020.
- Li, T. F. Rakhmah, and J. Wada, Market Design for Multilateral Trade of Electricity in ASEAN: A Survey of the Key Components and Feasibility, Asian Economic Papers, 2020, Volume 19 (1), pp. 43-60.
- Shi, X. Liao, Y. Li, Quantification of fresh water consumption and scarcity footprints of hydrogen from water electrolysis: A methodology framework, Renewable Energy, 2020, Volume 154, pp. 786-796.
- Li; Q. Ji; D. Zhang; Technological catching up and innovation policies in China: What is behind this largely successful story? Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 2020, 153: 119918.
- Li, Y. Chang, Road transport electrification and energy security in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations: Quantitative analysis and policy implications, Energy Policy, 2019, Volume 129, pp. 805-815.
- Her, Y. Chang, Y. Chun, Y. Li, A Cooperative Game Theoretic Approach on the Stability of the ASEAN Power Grid, Energy Economics, 2018, Volume 75, pp. 492-502.
- Li, D. Zhang, Innovation Policy in China, Innovation Policy in ASEAN, edited by Masahito Ambashi, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia, Jakarta, 2018.
- Li, Sustainably Developed ASEAN: The Next 50 Years, in Chapter 6: Sustainably Developed ASEAN, ASEAN Future Forward: Anticipating the Next 50 Years, edited by Mari Elka Pangestu and Rastam Mohd Isa, Published by Institute of Strategic and International Studies (ISIS), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 2017.
- F. Rakhmah, Y. Li, A Review on Institutional Framework, Principles, and Key Elements for Integrated Electricity Market: Implications for ASEAN, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA) Working Papers, October 2016, DP-2016-26.
- Shi, Y. Li, E. Reshetova, Bottom-up design of a gas futures market in East Asia: Lessons from the Dojima rice exchange, Natural Gas Industry B, 2016, 3 (4), 377-386.
- Kimura, S. Kimura, Y. Chang, Y. Li, Financing renewable energy in the developing countries of the East Asia Summit region: Introduction, Energy Policy, 2016, Volume 95, Pages 421-426.
- Chang, Z. Fang, and Y. Li, Renewable energy policies in promoting financing and investment among the East Asia Summit countries: Quantitative assessment and policy implications, Energy Policy, 2016, Volume 95, pp. 427-436.
- Li and Y. Chang, Infrastructure investments for power trade and transmission in ASEAN + 2: Costs, benefits, long-term contracts and prioritized developments, Energy Economics, 2015, Volume 51, pp. 484-492.
- Li and R. Kochhan, Policies and Business Models for the Electric Mobility Revolution: The Case Study on Singapore, Singapore Economic Review, 20 November 2015, DOI: 10.1142/S021759081550109X
- Chang and Y. Li, Renewable Energy and Policy Options in an Integrated ASEAN Electricity Market: Quantitative Assessments and Policy Implications, Energy Policy, 2015, Vol.85, pp. 39-49.
- Investing in Power Grid Interconnection in East Asia, ERIA Research Project Report 2013-23, Edited by I. Kutani and Li, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia, Jakarta, 2014.
- Chang and Y. Li. Power Generation and Cross-border Grid Planning for the Integrated ASEAN Electricity Market: A Dynamic Linear Programming Model, Energy Strategy Reviews, 2(2), pp. 153-160, 2013.
- Chang and Y. Li, Rapid Growth at What Cost? Impact of Energy Efficiency Policies in Developing Economies, End of Electricity Demand Growth: How energy efficiently can put an end to the need for more power plants, Edited by Fereidoon P. Sioshansi, Elsvier, 2013.
- Chang and Y. Li, "The Singapore Electricity Market: From Partial to Full Competition", Evolution of Global Electricity Markets, Edited by F. P. Sioshansi, Elsevier, 2013.
- Li and W.M. Chia, Information and Communication Technology and Economic Growth of Four Asian Industrialized Economies, Innovation, clusters and economic growth in Asia, Edited by Sören Eriksson, Edward Elgar, 2013.
- Chang and Y. Li, An Integrated Asian Natural Gas Market: Potentials and Policy Implications, Energy Market Integration in East Asia: Deepen Understanding and Move Forward, Edited by Y. Wu, X. Shi and F. Kimura, Routledge, 2013.
- Y. Li, S.T. Yao, and W.M. Chia, Demand Uncertainty, Information Processing Ability, and Endogenous Firm: Another Perspective on the Impact of ICT, Nankai Business Review International, Emerald, Vol.4, 2011.
Other Outreach Activities
- Hydrogen as a clean fuel for transportation, the ASEAN Post, 7 Oct 2019
- ASEAN Sets New Momentum Moving Towards an Integrated Electricity Market in the Region, ERIA, Oct 2018
- Hydrogen on the rise as clean fuel, China Daily, Sept 2018
- Understanding China's Technological Rise, the Diplomat, Aug 2018
- A Chinese Model for Global Leadership? The Diplomat, Feb 2018
- Can China’s Belt and Road plan bring Chinese-style prosperity to developing nations? South China Morning Post, Aug 2017
- Services the next frontier in Asian energy revolution, Nikkei Asian Review, May 2017
- Can ‘New’ Keynesianism Save the Chinese Economy? The Diplomat, 6 March 2016
- As use of nuclear energy grows more widespread in Asia, transparency should be key, South China Morning Post, 9 Aug 2015
- Industry 4.0 and Energy 4.0 for Southeast Asia, the Diplomat, 21 May 2015
- Challenge the Barriers to Power Grid Interconnection in ASEAN and East Asia Countries, ERIA Frames, Vol.2, No.2, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia, Jakarta, Mar-Apr 2015