Strengthening Social Protection in East AsiaEditor(s)/Author(s) : - 1 April 2015
This book focuses on relatively unexplored areas in pension and health care arrangements, including financing, in East Asia. The book aims to fill the literature gap on social protection in East Asia by covering issues such as pension and health care arrangements in the depopulating high income countries of Japan and Korea; the challenges of the pay-out phase in Defined Contribution (DC) arrangements in Australia, New Zealand, and Singapore; and the extension of coverage of social protection schemes in China, India, and Indonesia. It also reviews social protection from a much wider perspective and extends coverage of social protection in terms of both the proportion of the population with access to the social protection scheme and the types of risks faced by the households and by society as a whole. The book also gives attention to reforms of civil service pensions.
About the Book
258 pages | 37 B/W Illus.
Series : Routledge-ERIA Studies in Development Economics
Table of Contents
- Selected Issues in Strengthening Social Protection in East Asia: An Overview (Mukul G. Asher and Fukunari Kimura )
- Managing Pension and Healthcare Costs in Rapidly Aging Depopulating Countries: The Case of Japan (Noriyuki Takayama)
- Managing Pension and Healthcare Costs in Rapidly Aging Depopulating Countries: The Case of Korea ( Hyungpo Moon)
- Structuring the Payout Phase in a Defined Contribution (DC) Scheme in High Income Countries: Experiences of Australia and New Zealand (Hazel Bateman)
- Structuring the Payout Phase in a Defined Contribution (DC) Scheme in High Income Countries: Experiences of Singapore (Chia Ngee Choon and Albert K. Tsui )
- Civil Service Pension Arrangements in India, the Philippines and Thailand: An Assessment (Mukul G. Asher and Friska Parulian)
- Strengthening Sustainability and Extending the Pension Coverage in China (Yuwei Hu )
- Extending the Coverage of Social Protection amongst Informal Workers in India (Santanu Gupta )
- Extending Social Protection for Informal Sector Workers in Indonesia (Budi Kuncoro, Friska Parulian, and Mukul G. Asher)
Click here to purchase the book. Hardback version available.